November 14, 2008

iRex DR1000 eBook reader community development kicks in

Over at the iRex company blog you can read in this post that explains how just after a week of them releasing their full-source-code to the open source community, they have seen the first "community developed" application (FBReader) released for the DR1000 eBook reader.

iRex are pushing a radically different model for their software platform with their recent open sourcing of their code, and it will be interesting to see:-
  • how many, and which, applications get developed outside of iRex
  • how iRex will handle rolling some of them back into the core platform they release or manage
  • how they affect the iRex Illiad reading experience, if you have many different applications on it with different user interaction models, layouts etc.
  • will it make anyone else consider taking this route? I can't see Sony doing it somehow.
Watch this space and I'll inform of developments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm gonna make my own blog

kathryn said...

thank you for your knowledge and i am really appreciated thank you e-business book

Anonymous said...

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked
submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!


Also visit my homepage; How to get a girlfriend